Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fanning the Babies

As I posted previously, I've had problems with "damping off" in my seedling trays.  I've also had problems with leggy bean seedlings bending over to the point of breaking - though not because of damping off (thankfully!).  Well I found a solution for both problems.  I rotated my seeding trays so that the one with the most damping off (herbs/wildflowers/tomatoes) is now on the heating pad.  Then I poured some water into the bottom tray instead of watering from the top (great tip! wish I'd known that earlier!).  Then I broke out this mini fan and directed it onto the tray with the bean seedlings (beans/peppers). 

The heating pad was just to help kill off any remaining fungus from the damping off.  The air circulation from the fan also helps with that.  However, what I didn't know is that the fan blowing on the leggy bean seedlings will actually condition them to grow their stalks a little stronger so they can withstand the winds when I transplant them outside in a week or two.  I may be imagining it, but I think they already look a little stronger.  They stopped needing the use of my little support sticks that I put in the soil for them to lean on.  Its a start!  I'll let you know how the damping off and stalk conditioning works out.  I've already stopped seeing any fungus gnats so that's a good sign.  The surviving seedlings already look a little healthier.

I also started taking the pumpkins and the one adolescent tomato plant outside to begin their hardening process.  I'll probably start doing the same with the beans and peppers as soon as their stalks are strong enough to withstand the wind.  

Ooh and I nearly forgot to mention!  I finally picked the showpiece container plant for my garden.  Its going to be a setsuma mandarin orange tree.  If you're looking for a citrus tree for your garden this year, my Southern friends, and you're having a helluva time finding any because of the disease outbreak in Florida, send me a message.  I have good news and helpful info for you.  Think Monrovia!  More to come...

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome article on damping off you linked (other than the part about running straight to the chemicals to fight it).

    You know I still remember you swearing up and down to me that you couldn't even grow Rhododendrons in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete