Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hello World!

Why Another Mom's Garden Blog?

I've been posting about my gardening efforts on my Facebook page for about a month now
. The only problem with that is that it doesn't really link up with other sites where I can share all this stuff I'm learning with the rest of the world. So this blog is born. Simply put, its yet another Mom's Garden type of blog, but I'm hoping that some of the first time gardener's stuff that I'm learning will help someone else. I've gotten a lot of help along the way from other people's garden blogs, so I thought I should compile everything I've been learning here.

About My Garden

Simply put, my garden project started out because of my daughter, Abigail. I wanted to feed her healthy, organic, fresh, local food and give her a childhood filled with whimsy and an interest in nature. That said, my goals for my garden were:
  • Make a garden that is safe and organic - so that an inquisitive two year old can put things in her mouth without our having to worry about chemicals and poisonous plants.
  • Use natural pest controls - its better for the ecosystem. (More detail to follow in blog posts)
  • Have a neutral impact on nature - or even a positive one if we can.
  • Entice Abigail's participation by using projects that stimulate her creativity and imagination.
  • Feed our family - Have you seen the cost of produce at the grocery store?! $3 for a Bell Pepper? No thanks, I'll grow my own. And finally...
  • EAT LOCAL - This blog will include information I've gathered on eating locally grown produce, meats, eggs and, if possible, dairy. We've been trying to gear our family more toward a "greener lifestyle" and eating locally is a big part of that. I'll be including resources to help anyone in the Charlotte area (and sometimes abroad) join us in the Eating Local movement. Expect preaching to be minimal - but present ;)
That's it. Bless your heart for reading this post to the end. I promise to make the rest of my posts much more informal, informational and entertaining.

bec - the GardenMumma

No comments:

Post a Comment